Monday, January 13, 2014

Cloth Diapers!!!

Ashlynn has worn cloth diapers since she was seven months old. The main reason I wanted to give cloth diapers a try was because they are so cute! I also wanted to save some money especially when in a few years we may decide to have more children and I can just reuse them! Cloth diapers have better air flow and are made from natural fibers. I will be sharing with you my two preferred cloth diaper brands. I am one who prefers hybrids or ai2's over aio's or pocket diapers. 

Ai2's and hybrids are cloth diapers that consist of a shell which you can reuse and you just have to change the insert. Aio's have the inserts sewn onto the diaper so you have to change the whole diaper each time. Pocket diapers have a pocket that you stuff the insert into and you have to change the whole diaper after each use. You can also choose to have sized diapers that you will need to buy more once the outgrow the current size. I prefer one size diapers that consists of snaps to adjust the rise of the diaper. I like one size diapers because you do not have to keep buying different size diapers. The con to this is it may be bulkier on smaller babies. If I started cloth diapers sooner I think I would get a sized diaper until she is on the second snaps of our one size diapers. That is because you have to fold the inserts and it makes it so bulky! 
My Grovia stash...

Grovia
Grovia recently has become one of my new favorite cloth diapers. It consists of a shell that you snap the insert into and then just change the insert and put a new one in (as long as the shell isn't dirty). So there is no need to buy a bunch of shells. The inserts I went with is the organic cotton soaker pad. They contain waterproof backing to keep the shell dry and leg gussets. 

It has two snaps on the back to snap into the shell.

and then you put it on baby! That simple! When baby needs to be changed simply unsnap the insert and put it into your wet bag and snap a new one in. I love these diapers!! They work well for our daughter and are very trim!
This is the size comparison of the settings all the way snapped, the middle snap, and then no snaps. When it is all the way snapped it is very tiny. I wish I would have started cloth diapering sooner to tell you how it works on the smallest setting. Ashlynn is currently on the middle snap. Here are pictures of her in it. She will be 18 months on the 26th ):








Flip
Our next favorite brand is Flip one size diaper covers. These were the first ones we tried since they were cheaper than the Grovia so if I didn't like it I wouldn't be out a lot of money. I love our Flips to! Here is my Flip stash..
The two bottom left are Diaper Rites which are similar to the Flips. I have had no problems with these except for when we got back from vacation this summer they started leaking from the legs. I stripped the inserts, put the covers in the dryer to reseal the pul, and go down a snap setting. It seems to have worked so far! These diapers have held up well considered I have used mainly these for almost a year. 

Here are the snap settings all the way snapped, middle snap, and no snaps. The smallest setting is small like the Grovia but I fell like overall the Flips are a tad bigger. Ashlynn is also on the second snap setting in these. Here is a picture.


First picture is her first day in them and the second is from around September 2013. They are also very trim like the Grovia. The option for inserts I chose is the stay dry insert.
It has creases that you fold down for the different rise settings. The smooth, stay-dry fabric absorbs moisture away from baby. It is a fantastic insert and the side that touches baby is so soft. With these inserts you just insert under the flaps of the cover. 

Then you just take out the insert, wipe down the shell, and put in a new insert. So easy!

Comparison
On the left is the Grovia and on the right is the Flip. This is on the smallest snap setting. As you can see the Flip is a tad bigger.
On the second setting. 
All the way unsnapped. 



           Grovia                                                              Flip
Pros- Very trim, elastic is still like new, insert snaps in               Pros- Very trim, cheaper to buy new,
so it stays put, backing on the insert so my hands don't               will fit babies longer possibly.
get dirty,better quality.

Cons- It may not fit babies as long as the Flip will since             Cons- Leg elastic can wear down 
 it is smaller, more expensive.                                                       faster.

Overall these two are my favorite and will continue to use them both. I may buy more Grovia for the next child since they are my absolute favorite and have had no leaks. I strongly encourage anyone who is interested in cloth diapers to get a few and try it out. You will never know unless you try :)

   Forever&Always<3
Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment